Are you looking for an opportunity to improve your college-level English, increase your awareness of U.S. culture and society, and enhance your understanding of higher education opportunities in the United States? If so, we want you to apply to be an EducationUSA Academy Scholar!
Up to three scholars will receive full awards to attend EducationUSA Academy, a pre-college academic enrichment program for international students that offers college-level workshops, campus visits, and cultural activities. This unique opportunity will help us commemorate 70 years of educational ties between the United States and Belgium through the Fulbright Commission for Belgium and Luxembourg.
EducationUSA Academy Scholarship
Eligibility: Eligible applicants will be Belgian citizens or permanent residents in Belgium who are in their fifth or sixth year of secondary school. Applicants should demonstrate strong leadership qualities demonstrated in school and community activities; high level of academic achievement, as indicated in grades, awards, and letters of recommendation; serious interest in learning more about the United States; and proficiency in English. Students from diverse backgrounds, especially those who have not previously had opportunities to travel internationally, are encouraged to apply.
Benefits: The scholarship will cover the cost of the academy, J-1 visa fees, international airfare, and a $50/week stipend for the duration of the academy.
How to Apply: We want to see your creativity shine!
Applications consist of
- a one-minute video that responds to the following prompt: “How would you be a
cultural ambassador of Belgium as an EducationUSA Academy Scholar?”;
- a completed application form;
- recommendation from a teacher, employer, or mentor. See below for more details.
Applicants to the scholarship are asked to select their ‘top three’ academy host institutions. If selected, EducationUSA Academy Scholarship recipients will work with an EducationUSA Adviser to select their top EducationUSA Academy and to prepare an application.
Learn More: The EducationUSA Academy is a pre-college academic enrichment program for international high school students offering specialized college preparatory content, college-level writing workshops, campus visits, and cultural activities. Students gain an insider’s perspective on higher education in the United States while getting the chance to experience and enjoy campus life. To learn more about the EducationUSA Academy and to see a full list of host institutions, please visit www.edusaacademy.org.
Summer 2019 Application
Follow these instructions to apply for the EducationUSA Academy Scholarship:
- We want to see your creativity shine! Record a in a one-minute video that responds to the following prompt: “How would you be a cultural ambassador of Belgium as an EducationUSA Academy Scholar?”
- Download the application form here (.docx). Fill out the first two pages of the application.
- Ask a teacher, mentor, or employer to fill out the reference form on the third page of the application.
- Send your video, completed application form, and reference to email@example.com by midnight on February 8 2019.
A selection committee will review submissions and selected candidates will be invited to the final round for an interview.