The Propell® WORKSHOP FOR THE TOEFL® IBT TEST – A Workshop for Belgian Teachers of English
On Friday, April 22, 2016, the Brussels Fulbright Commission will host a Propell® workshop, a one-day professional development program designed to help English-language teachers meet the challenges of teaching English to students. The workshop will begin at 9:30 AM and end at 5:30 PM and take place in the Center for American Studies in the Royal Library of Belgium (Boulevard de l’Empereur 4 Keizerslaan, B-1000 Brussels). Please make sure to register in the form below. This event is free of charge. Should you have more questions about this event, please contact Mr. Nathan Hoffmann (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Led by a local ETS-approved trainer in an interactive, hands-on classroom setting, the Propell® workshop is a one-day professional development program designed to help English-language teachers successfully teach students English as a second language. The workshop uses examples from all four sections of the TOEFL iBT® test: Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing. It provides instructional techniques and strategies for using the integrated-skills approach to teaching language and for preparing students for success.
Teachers will receive a Propell workshop kit that will guide them through stimulating sessions on teaching techniques and activities and help them learn more about the benefits of the TOEFL iBT test. The workshop is also an opportunity to interact with peers and provide feedback to help us improve and develop assessments that meet their needs.
What can you expect from a Propell Workshop?
- Teaching and learning strategies to help promote your students’ success
- Flexible classroom activities to motivate your students
- Learning objectives for lesson plans and class activities
- Access to practice test resources
- Speaking and Writing rubrics describing the criteria for student scores
- Networking with other instructors to share ideas
- A certificate upon completion of the workshop
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Who is the training for?
The training is intended for English language professionals working in higher education establishments or in language centers who already prepare students to take the TOEFL iBT test or would like to feel prepared to do so.
2. What is the language of the workshop?
The language of the workshop is English.
3. Who are the facilitators of the workshop?
An ETS-Approved Propell® Facilitator will be leading the workshop. The details will be confirmed around one month before the training.
4. What will be discussed during the workshop?
The one-day workshop will offer instructional techniques and learning activities for English-language instructors to use in the classroom to build an engaging TOEFL iBT curriculum to effectively prepare students for test day. Based on the integrated-skills approach, the workshop will include:
- a comprehensive overview of the TOEFL iBT test
- a detailed review of the scoring guidelines for the Writing and Speaking sections of the TOEFL iBT test
- practice in scoring sample test-taker responses
- an engaging discussion on practical applications to guide classroom instruction
5. Is there any final exam? What do I have to do to complete the training?
There is no final exam; however, the participants are expected to take active part in discussion and group work. Participants who leave the workshop early may not be granted the certificate.
6. How should the participants prepare?
The participants will be sent an introductory assignment to introduce themselves to the training.
Registration for this event is now closed. If you would like to attend and have not registered, please email Nathan Hoffmann at email@example.com.